Last weekend we found a beef stew recipe online that looked very good...the only downfall was that it required beer...We don't really like beer...SO, week prior to that I decided to brew my own rootbeer...that was 10/14th. The recipe I followed takes 4 days...well it didn't taste like IBC (what I was trying for) it tasted a little more yeasty...and smelled more like beer than rootbeer...so we used it for cooking!
So, the recipe is more of a technique than it is a recipe...you crispify the beef with olive oiled pot...then take out meat and deglaze the pot with the rootbeer...then you add a whole lot of onions and a few carrots...cook on low for about 30 mins...Now optionally add cubes of red potatoes...then plop the meet on top add more rootbeer until half the top of the meat...finally put it in the oven for about 2 hrs at 350 degrees F. Note: you need an oven safe pot and the rootbeer should be brewed like IBC not carbonated like Barq's...I haven't tried it with Barq's yet.
Here is what it looks like: picture from 10/18th...
We liked it so much we made it again this weekend (10/25/08): Notice the pot is bigger!
I think we may make it again next weekend...
Please let me know if you try it!
Hope everyone has a great week...

No comments:
Post a Comment